Sunday 8 April 2012

 
A throwaway society!

I have been working a lot lately with recycled materials in the studio producing beautiful jewellery that has history and charm and it has made me think about the things people throw away.

Recently I have found a supply of old watch pieces that someone takes the time to pull apart, package up and sell for artworks and jewellery and it has been beautiful working with them as I know they hold history. Someone wore them on their wrist for who knows how long before they arrived in my studio and I then in turn create jewellery that someone will again wear. Isn’t it nice to think that they have not been thrown away and discarded like so many of the things we buy today?

One of the reasons I love what I make is that I know they are cherished by the people who purchase them and the beads have the potential to be worn for the next 100 years, generation after generation. It’s such a nice thought that they will not become one of the pieces that get thrown out after being worn once or even worse is purchased knowing they will not last.

We have been conditioned as a society to accept that we throw things away after short use and that everything is mass produced and I am so proud to know of many gorgeous artists who make one off pieces that will last a lifetime.

Next time you go to buy something ask yourself the question....

No comments:

Post a Comment